Have a bunch of leftover veggies in the fridge that need to be used up? Make a soup! This is one of my favorite ways to save vegetables from going in the trash if I can’t eat them fast enough.
Plant-based – Gluten-free – Vegan
4 cups chopped mixed vegetables (I used carrots and peppers)
One, 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
1 block firm tofu, drained and cubed
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
**Always check to make sure your ingredients/products are gluten-free and vegan (if desired) before purchasing as manufacturers may change ingredients.
Directions – Crockpot
1. Place all ingredients in a large crockpot and cook on high, covered, approximately 8 hours (or until vegetables are soft enough to puree).
2. Use an immersion blender to puree to desired consistency.
Directions – Stovetop
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes (or until vegetables are soft). Stir occasionally.
3. Use an immersion blender to puree to desired consistency.
-2 cups of fresh tomatoes can be used in place of canned.
-Other mixed vegetables that work well with the recipe could include: celery, broccoli, spinach and/or cauliflower.
-Soft tofu can be used in place of firm tofu.